If you are planning to hire an attorney, you may be wondering where to find a reliable one. But before you start your search, it is important to know that lawyers come in different types. Thus, you have to narrow down your choices by focusing only on lawyers who practice the law for which you seek legal advice.
- Ask around. Your family, friends, and acquaintances may recommend attorneys who they personally know or have worked with. It is best to go for personal references.
- Talk to an attorney you trust. It does not matter if they do not practice the kind of law for which you need legal advice because he/she is the closest person to recommend a reliable colleague.
- Go online. You can look at databases that provide a list of lawyers and their information. They also include the practice areas and disciplinary records. You can also check out MyDefence.ca, a trusted law firm that can help you with your case. When doing an online search, it is important to read reviews from previous clients.
- Look into the attorney directory of your local or state bar association. It has a list of attorneys in your area.
- You can also opt for affordable options, such as legal technology companies, where you can get legal advice from lawyers without getting charged with hourly fees. When you visit MyDefence.ca or other websites of law firms, feel free to message the page to get started with your negotiation.
Before hiring an attorney, you should also be ready with the right questions. Here are some examples:
- Do you offer consultations for free? If not, how much do I need to pay for the initial interview?
- How many years have you been working as a lawyer?
- How experienced are you in handling cases? What were the results?
- What are all the fees that I need to pay for? Should I pay right away or do you allow installments? Are your fees open for negotiations?
- What are the complete services you offer?
- How heavy is your current caseload? Can you assure your commitment to my case?